Monday, March 28, 2011

Faries, Mothers and Daughters


My Mama is the Fairy on the right.
Today is her 90th Birthday!
How I miss her. . .




Is there a more precious love than a  mother and a daughter?

She made my life magic,


until she went ahead,

leaving us with magic memories 






and love


And now I have a daughter . .  .




And her love is magic too!

All these cousins came together
to celebrate
Ashlee's wedding.







In our mother and grandmother's "English Garden" 





Ashlee went to England on her mission and went back on her honeymoon to visit where she might have found a fairy like Tiki, the fairy in Lynne Reid  Bank's story of fairies and mothers and daughters and magic. 




The Fairy Rebel


After Tiki is "earthed" by Jan because she touched her they become friends and Tiki asks her human friend about tears:

"There was an awful silence while the fairy thought.  Then she said, "But what made you make them?  What made you have that feeling?"
"I told you.  I'm lonely."
The fairy frowned and shook her head.  "tell me in another way."
Jan said quietly, "I want a baby."
"Then your queen will send you one."
Jan smiled sadly.
"I'm afraid it's not like that with us humans, she said.  "our babies grow inside us.  And there seems to be something wrong with me."
"Wrong?"
"I don't seem able to have a baby."
"Oh, well, never mind," said the fairy comfortably, and closed her eyes again.  But after a while, she opened them. "But you do mind," she said in a different sort of voice, "or you wouldn't have made tears."
"That's right," said Jan.
"Oh," said the fairy.
Jan's hand was getting tired, so she laid it on her knee.  The fairy sat for while, thinking.  Then she whirred upward suddenly, vanished and reappeared sitting on Jan's left shoulder.

"Have you a picture in your head of the kind of baby you'd like if you could grown one?" she asked.
"Yes." . . . Jan sighed very deeply and said:
"I want a girl baby.  She doesn't have to be very beautiful or very clever.  Just a nice, normal, ordinary baby.  I want to her to have soft, brown hair like a bird's feathers and skin like rose petals. And eyes like Charlie's, browny-green.  And beautiful hands with nails shaped like almonds. And little fat feet."

This story is a perfect read aloud or read to yourself for moms and daughters. 

Thanks Erica for the photos of Grandma!




















4 comments:

  1. love loved this post.
    grandma sure left quite the legacy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a right, left problem, Mama is the fairy on the left!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...I thought I was the only sister with those kinds of problems!!! Still trying to figure out which is the "east" room...:)
    Thanks for the sweet post about our sweet mother dear...you are amazing sister dear!!! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah darling post:) we are lucky! thank you for this blog that is so wonderful,love you so much.

    ReplyDelete