Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Dreamer ---- Fourth Grade and Older

Yesterday I read


The Dreamer (Ala Notable Children's Books. Older Readers)
By Pam Munoz Ryan & Peter Sis

Sometimes I wonder if children’s books are really written for children.  I wonder if I would have read this book as a child.  I wonder if I would have loved this book the way I love it as a grandmother. 
Printed in green, the color of hope, the story of Neftali  Reyes,  who grows up to become Pablo Neruda, is told in verse, illustration, and prose, a sweet, tender reflection on the resilience of childhood.   The timid stuttering boy belittled by his father and without friends finds his voice in the written word.
When his step-mother reads to him:
“Between the pages, he forgot that he stuttered when he spoke.  He saw himself healthy and strong like his older brother, Rodolfo; cheerful like his little sister, Laurita; and confident and intelligent like his uncle Orlando, who owned the local newspaper.  While the pages turned, he even dared to imagine himself with a friend.”

Maybe these children will like it . . .




















No comments:

Post a Comment